I’m in a bit of a job-related dilemma and I’m seeking advice. There are 3 jobs at stake:
Technical Writer for a software/web development company.
– good benefits, closer to home, more interesting work
– I’d be the only technical writer, they have never had one before, so I get to make the rules
– good interview, I think I’m in good shape for it, but not guaranteed
– not making their decision until mid-next week
Commercial Specialist for my former “team”
– working with project team for a new Commercial Credit system
– developing support materials
– resolving escalated questions and issues
– maintain “seniority” with the company and develop project management and technical writing skills
– I’m the successful candidate and need to accept or decline the position this week
Intake Specialist for my current “team”
– this is what I do right now, but it’s a temporary position
– I don’t really like it, but I know what I’m doing and I’m not too bad at it
– this position is not yet posted and won’t be posted for probably 2 or 3 weeks
– if I want to apply for this position, I need to decline job #2
– this will be an open posting with no “preferred candidate” so there’s no guarantee that I would actually get the job.
My first thought is to decline job #2 and #3 and wait for job #1. My second thought is to take job #2. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to consider job #3, even though I’m doing it, I’m pretty frustrated with it and not interested in committing myself to a 1-year stint.
I want to take courses in technical writing; my current company will pay for the courses, or since job #1 pays a little more, I can afford to pay for the courses myself.
I want to move back to Saskatoon eventually, although I’m not sure I can enumerate my reasons other than affordable housing. If I choose to accept a job in Toronto, I would make a 1-year commitment with my current company or an 18-month commitment for job #1 and make a point of getting my expenses under control and saving for a larger down payment (and moving expenses). If I don’t take a job in T.O., then I would move back to Saskatoon within the next few months.
I’m interested in any feedback you want to provide ….